Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Should I go out of state for college? or stay in state?

ok. here's the deal....

I will be going to college in 2 years when I graduate high school.I live in Houston Texas. I don't know for sure what I want to major in but I am interested in being a nurse(I volunteer at hospitals in the medical center). I have been looking into going out of state for college because I am tired of Texas.

places I am considering: in no particular order

Salt lake city, Utah

Las Vegas, Nevada

Denver, Colorado

Seattle, Washington

NYC

Boston , Massachusetts

Phoenix , Arizona

somewhere in California

Portland, Oregon

Anchorage, Alaska

I want to move out of state because I want to be independent and I want to explore different places and live in different places. I don't want to end up like those people who are afraid to leave the place they have lived their entire life.

I will be hopefully graduating college in 6-7 years (counting the two left in high school) so I hope the job market will be better. If I go to college in state I will probably stay in Houston or go to Dallas, I would be going to Dallas for their nursing program and would hopefully get a job at parkland hospital and if I stay in Houston I want to get a job at somewhere in the medical center.( hopefully)

So what do you guys think I should do? Did any of you guys move out of state for college?why?.......Did you stqay in state for college ?why?

Please help me I need advice? any input would be greatly appreciated.

Also If it affects anything....I am home schooled and I have been since 8th grade. I am in the 10th grade now.Should I go out of state for college? or stay in state?
Since you know you want to go into nursing, your first consideration should be to see which schools offer the best nursing programs. Unfortunately, fewer people are pursuing nursing. While this creates a great job market opportunity, more and more schools have discontinued their nursing schools due to low attendance. So first research which colleges offer nursing programs.



The big consideration going out of state or staying in-state is that going to a state school in your resident state is cheaper for state residents. Unless you've got scholarships, financial aid or are rich, that's a big deal. Average private and out-out-state tuition costs are about $25,000 to $35,000 for tuition alone. And it usually goes up 7-8% every year. Since you are determined to go out of state, then also consider your travel, moving, and living costs. Think about how you will pay for all that.



Home schooling shouldn't be a problem in terms of academics if you've done well. If you've been well-acclimated and exposed to a lot of people in different social situations, you should be fine. If not, it might be a little overwhelming at first. But if you're someone that can adjust well to new environments, you'll be in a for a grand adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment