Wednesday, January 25, 2012

When choosing a university, should cost or social comfort be more important?

My dilemma is as follows: I am a rather liberal, unique person and feel completely out of place in my current city of Dallas, Texas. I want to go to UT in Austin or the University of Oregon, but neither will most likely give me sufficient financial aid (I'm poor as hell, have a 3.75 but no 4.0 and lots of people want to apply to both schools) and having tons of debt from medical school AND my Bachelor's doesn't sound like the most fun idea. However, neither does going to a small-minded, uppity or local place around here, although the financial prospects will likely be much better for me if I do so. I am a 3rd generation SMU legacy and my brother got a full ride there with not MUCH better grades than me, so that could be a fiscally sound option, but from what my friends who go there have said and from my knowledge about the place, I would totally hate it there, and probably anywhere else around here, frankly. So ultimately, should I risk happiness for a cheaper education or risk lots of debt for the sake of social freedom and comfort?When choosing a university, should cost or social comfort be more important?
i would definitely pick where you feel you fit in better. the cost of your happiness with the friends you'll make and hang around with doesn't really convert to a dollar amount. do what would make you happiest and worry about the money later



ps im sure theres a variety of people at both schools so if you end up having to go to one where you dont think youll fit in well, just try to be open minded and hope others will be the same way towards you :)When choosing a university, should cost or social comfort be more important?
Don't spend 4 years being unhappy, it will really affect your ability to get good grades if you are miserable.When choosing a university, should cost or social comfort be more important?
Ideally, social comfort should count as much as the cost of college, but that's rarely the case. Plenty of students make compromises and end up attending the school that offers them the most financial aid. Looking at your financial options, a year at SMU would cost about $52,500, a year at UT-Austin would cost you about $25,500 and a year at UT-Dallas (living at home) would cost you about $14,500. So if you're financing your education entirely by yourself, you'll be $100,000 in debt before you get to med school -- and that's a LOT of debt even without the huge costs of med school (if you get in). You'd be better off going to SMU (with 6,000 students, you're sure to find other students like yourself) if you can get a free ride there and then getting out of Dallas for grad school.

No comments:

Post a Comment