Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Should I go to college out of state? or stay in state?

ok. here's the deal....

I will be going to college in 2 years when I graduate high school.I live in Houston Texas. I don't know for sure what I want to major in but I am interested in being a nurse(I volunteer at hospitals in the medical center). I have been looking into going out of state for college because I am tired of Texas.

places I am considering: in no particular order

Salt lake city, Utah

Las Vegas, Nevada

Denver, Colorado

Seattle, Washington

NYC

Boston , Massachusetts

Phoenix , Arizona

somewhere in California

Portland, Oregon

Anchorage, Alaska

I want to move out of state because I want to be independent and I want to explore different places and live in different places. I don't want to end up like those people who are afraid to leave the place they have lived their entire life.

I will be hopefully graduating college in 6-7 years (counting the two left in high school) so I hope the job market will be better. If I go to college in state I will probably stay in Houston or go to Dallas, I would be going to Dallas for their nursing program and would hopefully get a job at parkland hospital and if I stay in Houston I want to get a job at somewhere in the medical center.( hopefully)

So what do you guys think I should do? Did any of you guys move out of state for college?why?.......Did you stay in state for college ?why?

Please help me I need advice? any input would be greatly appreciated.

Also If it affects anything....I am home schooled and I have been since 8th grade. I am in the 10th grade now.Should I go to college out of state? or stay in state?
Hey, I was home schooled as well, and am actually from Alaska. So first off, I'd have to say I do not recommend the U of Alaska in Anchorage. It's got good graduate programs, but for undergraduate you're better off somewhere else. Plus, it's cold and not a super city in the winter.



As far as in state vs out of state, I'm going to school in Georgia and I have to say I definitely recommend not going to school close to home. I think if you stay too close you end up not completely living and growing during your college years, plus it limits your choices. Try and go visit potential schools, stay overnight in a dorm and sit in on a couple of classes.



Just to plug my school for a second, if you're a girl Agnes Scott College has a great nursing program that we do with Emory University (a very well known medical school) and you would actually graduate with two bachelor's degrees, one from Agnes and one from Emory. We're a women's college though, so if you're a guy just ignore this last part lol.Should I go to college out of state? or stay in state?
I'm an eighth grader in Maryland. Already, I have pretty much decided that I don't want to go to U of MD. I am thinking of maybe Bennington (VT), or some college up northeast like that. There are some advantages to staying in your own state for college, like being close to home and your family. On the other hand, you might not like the college in your state very much. Have you investigated the college in TX you are thinking of? Maybe you should find out whether it is considered a good college, and let that influence your decision. It can be a really good thing to go out of state to college, it's sort of like an adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment